Beamline Technician Position at Chemistry and Material Sciences Center for Advanced Radiation Sources (ChemMatCARS), University of Chicago
ChemMatCARS, affiliated with the Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering (PME), the University of Chicago and funded by NSF, is a national user facility for frontier research in chemistry and materials science using synchrotron x-rays. It is located at the Advanced Photon Source, Argonne National Laboratory. The mission of ChemMatCARS is to develop and operate world-class synchrotron x-ray facilities in the areas of small-molecule crystallography, liquid interface scattering, and anomalous small angle scattering to serve the needs of ChemMatCARS users.
Under the supervision of the Faculty Director, the Beamline Technician will assist in technical support activities related to scientific research projects, beamline development, and user operations at ChemMatCARS. Activities include, but are not limited to, operating and maintaining UHV and HV vacuum equipment, troubleshooting electronic instruments, managing electrical cables, machining parts, and assembling equipment to facilitate users’ experiments.
- Assists with the maintenance and upgrades of the ChemMatCARS UHV and HV vacuum systems and equipment.
- Assists with the testing, integration, and maintenance of mechanical assemblies and scientific equipment.
- Under general guidance, prepares electrical cables for electronic equipment, motors, and connects cables to those instruments.
- Troubleshoots electronics and mechanical equipment. Confers with research staff to identify and resolve operational problems.
- Analyzes equipment to establish operating data and conduct experimental tests.
- Conducts engineering studies and may assign work to technical staff
- Performs other related work as needed.
Click here for detail of job description and required qualification.
Candidates must apply on line by clicking here, (Requisition # JR20217).
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University’s Notice of Nondiscrimination.